Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge

                                          

1.  In what ways do you indulge yourself?
I love a small bowl of ice cream in the evenings.

2.  Have you ever taken a cooking class?  Any interest?  What type of class would you most like to try?
I have taken a lot of cooking classes.  I love to learn new ways of doing things.  One of the last classes I took was on pressure cooking, and not just canning.  You can prepare a stew in just 20 minutes from frozen meat.

3. What does it mean to be a good citizen? 
A good citizen is concerned about their community, its people and appearance; and works to make it a better place whether through voting, volunteering or helping neighbors.

4.  'Tis the season of the political advert...do these ads influence your vote? 
NO.  I am so sick of each one saying the other is a liar, and then not giving anything concrete that they would do.

5.  What's something you see today that makes you wish you were a kid again? 
Pictures of children playing in the snow.  They don't care that their cheeks are freezing, or that their snowmen are crooked.

6.  What's your least favorite cliche?
"It's all good"   Sorry Charlie, it ain't so.  Bad stuff happens all the time.  Every day I have to pray for a way to get through the problems of the day, and still have a sense of peace.

7.  What percentage of your Christmas shopping has been completed?  How does that make you feel?
80% of the shopping is done, but only 10% of the sewing is done.  I am starting to feel the pressure.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
My Uncle Rodney passed away last night, he was 83.  Growing up he was a "bad boy" and gave my grandma gray hairs with his antics.  He was on construction crews that built outdoor theatres all over the West.  (Does anyone remember those?  They are all gone here in Phoenix).  He loved genealogy, and the history and stories of our family.  When I saw him in July, he told me good-bye and that he would see me in heaven--he knew his time was short.  He was a rough and tumble type of guy with a good heart.

8 comments:

  1. You are so right about kids playing in the snow! I like to watch it from the inside, where it's nice and warm!
    Sounds like your uncle lived life to the fullest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers for your Uncle; he sounds like he lived a full and happy life.

    I was one of the kids who knew my cheeks were frozen! I enjoyed playing in the snow, making a snowman and all, but then I wanted to go back in to stay and have hot cocoa. I wonder if I dealt with the snow just to get the cocoa?

    "It's all good" is used by people who know you're ready to pounce on them because they truly deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Blessed Uncle Rodney with a lifetime of joy. He's laughing off the tip of a star now.
    I'm one of your followers, as of this second. I jumped over from Chatty Crone's. You look a lot like one of my sisters, so I had to come.
    Indulgence-a hot bubble bath when I can get down that far.
    Cooking classes-only from my Grandma's and Mom's kitchens and sometimes my sister Mel's...she's a great cook but don't tell her I said so
    Good Citizen-doing our civic duty, always vote, and keep the faith
    Adz-HATE them, so ridiculous, hard to know what way to vote and survive another 4 yrs.
    Wishing to be a Kid Again-innocence and truth be told
    Least fav cliche-Life's Rough....only if you do not choose to see goodness at least once a day...it's there if you want it
    Christmas shopping?-NONE, but all kinds of ideas in my wee head
    Random Thought-My dear Hubster and two of the boys are out bird hunting. That puts a smile on my face but I do wish I were along. Maybe next time.
    I don't usually do these, or rewards but I needed this diversion. I did feed your fish, they were looking for a mid-morning snack.
    BlessYourHeart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your Uncle. He sounds like a nice man. We still one outside Drive In here in NH and it's still packed with cars. You sure do beat me in the shopping department! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for your loss. He sounds like the fun uncle every family needs. We still have a drive in theatre here and we love going there at least once every summer. It has managed to stay a mostly family experience. I know a lot of them closed because they became hangouts for kids and places to make drug deals, but this one still feels friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree with your cliche and also agree, life is just plain hard and somedays we do get just to get through it.

    I haven't thought about a drive in in years. But, I certainly went my fair share as a teenager and young adult.

    Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love a small bowl of ice cream also. Sorry to hear your uncle passed! Glad you were able to see him in July! I have never been to a drive in theater! Didn't have too many of them growing up in Queens!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my husband's former co-workers is a state representative and up for re-election. We got a flyer from his opponent that contained blatant lies, attacking him for something work-related ... your average voter won't know that the accusations are lies, but my husband knows (because he worked with him). It's that kind of stuff that makes me just plain disgusted with the whole electoral process.

    I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete