Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chores

Each of us kids had our chores. We had to make our beds, dust the furniture, help sweep and mop the floors.  The boys would herd the cattle in for milking.  In summer we had to work in the garden pulling weeds–two rows each every day.  I detested doing that.  My favorite job was doing laundry.  We had a wringer washer, and two rinse tubs.  It was fun to put the clothes thru the wringer, being careful to keep them centered, and not too many at a time or the wringer would pop open.  After the second rinse, I got to hang the wash on the clotheslines that Daddy had built outside the back door on the corner of the lawn.  I loved to hang the colors together so it would look like a rainbow.  The ever present Wyoming breeze would dry each load by the time the next was ready to hang.  
Supper time we also had chores. We took turns doing dishes.  One would set the table, one would clear the table after meals, another would wash dishes and another dry and put them away.  Sometimes my brothers seemed to finish washing and drying dishes really fast.  But later Mom found that they had hidden the dirty pots and pans in the oven.  We girls never minded, that meant they had to have extra turns and we were free to play.

6 comments:

  1. So funny about the pots and pans in the oven!!! We had chores also growing up but why is it that I find it so hard to get my kids do chores now? LOL. Hope you're having a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had chores and got no allowance either! We had things to be done daily and weekly. I thank God for the work ethic my parents created in us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Siblings always seem to enjoy the others getting their just dessert. We always had chores too and what was allowance??? lol All of us kids grew up with a strong work ethic and we know how to do stuff. I'm thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- Yes. We grew up with chores, too. Farm chores...milking, feeding the cows, gathering eggs, mowing. Lots of chores. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do remember how wringer washer and put rubber diapers through that wringer diapers and explodes and I ruined a couple of shirts
    Did you ever get anything caught in a wringer?or ruined a couple of shirts?

    Tell me the stories of you have,
    the clothes you have washed with wringer washe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have more chores than I did...that garden for starters. One of my teachers shared how they handled dishes in her large family. Mother cooked so she didn't have to do any dishes. Everyone else washed his or her own dish, mug, and utensils. Pa washed the pots and pans. Sounds like a great plan to me!

    ReplyDelete