Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Bleeding Hearts

Today, in lieu of no Wednesday Hodgepodge, I thought that I would give you the story why I chose the background that I have on my blog.


When I was 2-1/2, my mother was about ready to give birth to my brother.  Now as I have mentioned, we lived on a ranch on the side of a mountain far from Cody, WY.  In the fall my dad was a guide and outfitter for hunting trips into Yellowstone park, so he was gone.  So in September, he moved us into town, into a small apartment that his friend and fellow Canadian--Sheriff Kinkade--had on his property.  


All this was so new to me, a huge lawn, the swing I'm standing on, and a small pond surrounded by his prize bleeding hearts.  They were so attractive, and drew me like a magnet.  I touched them, then pulled one off and dropped it into the water.  By the time my mom got to me, I had stripped off nearly all the prize flowers from his plants.


Sheriff Harley Kinkade
I'm lucky I was too young to go to jail, because I'm sure that is what the Sheriff would liked to have done.  A few years later, I could count on the story being retold every time we got together.

9 comments:

  1. Such an innocent thing you did!!! Enjoy your Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those plants and even have a few in my backyard. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary....what a sweet story....and what GREAT pixs.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What can a 2 1/2 yr. old know? Flowers are a magnet, like you said. But, bleeding hearts? No wonder you feared jail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great story and I'm sure the sheriff wouldn't want to punish such a sweet little girl too much. He looks like a kindly fella. Cute photo of you as a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, such a child-like thing to do! Hope they came back extra prolific the following year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear! You were a heart breaker at an early age!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a beautiful innocence in the story...even if you were "naughty!"

    ReplyDelete