Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. I included this quote (attributed to William H. Danforth) in my blog post yesterday... "The best cure for a sluggish mind is to disturb it's routine." When was the last time you 'disturbed your routine' and how'd you do it?
I am a spontaneous person.  I most often lead with my heart rather than my head.  I occasionally regret it, but on the most part I enjoy "living on the edge" as much as someone who is well over the hill can.  The last thing that I did was enroll in an art class that caught my fancy, just this morning.

                                                     
2. What's your favorite fried food indulgence?
I love crispy french fries.

3. Did you have an allowance as a kid? What did you do with it? Do you give your own kids an allowance?
I never had an allowance--we were just too poor.  When I was 13, I had my first job as a nanny, and besides room and board I received a dollar a week.  I saved my money and bought a beautiful blue spring jacket for Easter.
My kids didn't get an allowance per se--they had to do chores and were paid for those, a modest amount, maybe $5 a week, but they had to earn it--no work no money.

4. What's something you wish you knew more about?
Computers, I get frustrated when I can't figure out a software problem.  Good thing one of my daughters is a computer tech.

5. Is there anything you feel too old to do anymore? If so, what?
Mentally, I can do anything, physically I do have some limits like strenuous hiking, but I enjoy moderate hikes.

6. What's a song you think has a great first line?
"Amazing grace, how sweet the sound"
Amazing Grace (John Newton)

(I can't stop loving you)
I've made up my mind
--Ray Charles "I can't Stop Lovin You"

"Just take those old records off the shelf"
--Bob Seger's 'Old Time Rock 'n' Roll'

7. Who are you writing to/for when you create a blog post? In other words...as you write, who is the audience in your head?
My adoring fans are all those out there who remember the way things used to be, and those who want a glimpse into the olden days and sometimes say you have got to be kidding!

8. Insert your own random thought here.
We are certainly in the dog days of summer.  It has been so hot here for so long, that everything is starting to express stagnation and inactivity.  Oh, for a day with a cool breeze. 

Today Tuesday

Very Hot

Hi: 114 °F

Partly sunny and hot. Highs 108 to 114. Currently 105.7 at 1:41 pm 


10 comments:

  1. I hope you get that cool breeze! I stay active too...I think once you stop being active it's hard to get back there. That being said...I'm off to the gym : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. 114! Really, 114! WOW, maybe it will get to 75 today but with the rain, it will be hard to feel warm. In fact, I'm typing this in a sweat shirt and have a space heater on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying you'll get your cool breeze soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy your glimpses into the olden / golden days. I get a bit of nostalgia from time to time. Your post are always so welcomed. :)

    Stay Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marti!
    Sorry I've been out of touch for so long this summer...been spending lots of time with my family. I'm not very computer savvy, either. Thankfully, my youngest daughter Abby is...don't know where I'd be withoug her assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I signed up for an art class starting this Fall also! we'll have to compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 114? I think it's time to move to Wisconsin! :-) I love reading your blog because of the way things used to be. sigh. nostalgia. bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. French Fries were my favorite too! Especially sweet potato fries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish we could install a dome and pipeline to give relief and cooler temps to the really hot places and pump water from flooded places to drought-stricken places and a way to stop the wildfires near homes.

    As much as I'm not a fried-food fan, every once in a while I like fries. That photo is driving my current Baked Lays craving into the world of fries... (bad Nani, bad!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice post thanks for sharing...i found your blog thrue the hodgepodge...looking for to visit more...blessings from holland...

    ReplyDelete