Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Wednesday Hodgepodge--


1. In an effort to combat obesity, the mayor of NYC has plans to ban the sale of large sugary drinks (anything over 16 oz.), initially in restaurants, movie theatres, and street carts. Corner stores would also be affected if they are defined as food service establishments. You can read more here . Your thoughts?
Two problems come to mind, and there are probably more--First, although it is a noble gesture to want to fight obesity, this is hardly going to be effective; people will just buy two 16 oz drinks, and the alternatives such a apple juice or other fruit juice have more calories that soda drinks.  Secondly, and more important to me, I do not feel that it is the duty of government to dictate what I eat or drink.  Our founding fathers did not fight for this when they shed their blood for our freedoms.


2. Art festival, music festival, food festival...which would you most like to attend?
I would attend an art festival, and then if the music was country, blue grass or soul, I would drop by for awhile.

3. What are you irrational about?
Abuse to children, I tend to get emotional when I witness it in public, and often will say something.  Even if the kids are brats, I see no need to be abusive.

4. Do you feel confident you'll have a comfortable retirement?
Since I am already retired, I can answer this with confidence.  I have enough money to pay the bills, and afford a few extras.  I wanted my retirement to allow me time for my art, and that it does, so I am very comfortable, maybe not with material things but they are not at the top of my list.  I am happy with what I have, and thankful that I have wonderful friends and family.

5. What's been your favorite Olympic moment so far?
(Not ever, just in the 2012 Summer games)
I enjoy the swimming events.

6. What would you label as the messiest room in your house?
At this very moment it is my studio.  I have been trying to declutter, and rearrange, and so it looks like a tornado went through it, but when I have it all finished, it will be wonderful

7. Do you follow your heart or your head?
My first instinct is to follow my heart, but before I get too far down that road, my head and my training as a business analyst and manager kicks in, and I start to make mental or physical lists.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
After a restful two week vacation, and a very hectic first week home, I set aside this week to get some chores done, but also to read and learn to make a new pattern for a knitted scarf.  My friend made one, the pattern looks easy, but the finished product is very fancy.  If it works out, I am well on my way to planning my Christmas list.



4 comments:

  1. re: question #1, I do love what McDOnalds did on their own, with the Happy Meals; a smaller fries and apple slices instead of the regular small fries OR a larger bag of apples. Not just because I usually get a Happy Meal and like the "just a taste" pf fries well within my diet parameters, but I could also see where it cuts down on the healthy vs treat arguments with contentious parents. It teaches moderation to kids.

    I tend to get ideas with my heart than hand them off to my head too. But I have the business and management background like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am retired, and if we're careful, we should be able to make our nest egg last and to be able to live fairly comfortably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with #1. I am glad to hear your retirement is going so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed reading this post! And maybe that's because I agree with you on many of these issues. :-)

    ReplyDelete