Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose--Hot


Photobucket
This Week's prompt is: Hot?  Some like it hot... do you?
Let me preface my views with a synopsis of some of the places where I have lived:  Born in Cody, Wyoming 
The highest recorded temperature was 105°F in 1951.
The lowest recorded temperature was -46°F in 1936. (a bit before my time) with very low humidity.


Lived in Denver, Colorado--Denver's coldest month is January when the average temperature overnight is 15.2°F. In July, the warmest month, the average day time temperature rises to 88.0°F.

Lived in Evreux France--Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 33°F to 76°F and is rarely below 24°F or above 86°F.

Lived in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan--one of the snowiest places in Michigan, receiving an average of 128 inches of snow a year, Temperatures varied between a record low of −36 °F and a record high of 98 °F 

Currently living in Phoenix, Arizona--Warmest ever: 122,  Coldest ever: 26, coldest month is January when the average temperature overnight is 43.4°F. In July, the warmest month, the average day time temperature rises to 104.2°F. 

All those staggering facts, just to say that I have experienced both extremes in temperature.  After living in Sault Ste Marie for two years, waking in winter with the car buried in snow up to the windows, having lake effect blizzards blowing so hard that our frame house would get icicles inside, having the furnace on full blast and if you moved just a couple of feet from the vent you were chilled, I was soooo cold.  Then we moved to Phoenix in August.  The temperature the day we arrived was 110.  My poor babies cheeks were flushed from the heat.  I was here on the hottest day on record-June 26, 1990.  But I have also experienced days in December and January when the daytime temperature is in the low 70's. Since I hate to be cold, I would have to vote for living in a hot climate.  It seems that when I am cold, I just can't warm up, no matter how many layers of clothing that I put on, or how much hot chocolate that I drink.  In hot weather like we have had the last couple of weeks, my house is cool, I wear shorts, enjoy ice tea, can cool off in a swimming pool.  During the heat of the day, I stay cool.  

So bring on those hot days.  I'll take them over the bone chilling ones that I have experienced any day.

6 comments:

  1. I agree, the heat is better than freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... I would so much rather be cold than hot... but perhaps after having hot flashes for five years it feels like I am always hot anyway!

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure have lived in some very intersting places, Marti! I'm with you...hot over cold any old day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you ... I would much rather be somewhere warm than somewhere cold. As you probably know, I love, love, love the beach ... and DH and I had always planned of retiring to the beach. An added benefit would be that it would be the warmer winters. Being a part of our grandkids' lives is keeping us here in Illinois, but we still dream of moving to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing I like about the cold is that you can bundle up and get warm. When you're too hot, there is only so much you can do to get cool.

    ReplyDelete