Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wapiti School--A Century of Learning

Old WapitiWith school starting for another year, I thought back to my grade school--a one room school west of Cody Wyoming.  On March 11, 1911, the little school on the North Fork opened its doors for the first time. Teacher June Hale, her five students and Beans Wagner the dog stand in front of the first Wapiti School in 1911. School was held in the tent March-May. A new schoolhouse was built during the summer near the site of the current school.


Wapiti School 1928



Wapiti School 1950  4th Grade--I am in the back row, fourth from left, notice there still is a dog

1954 8th grade for me--I'm back row, third from left

Wapiti school 1955
The school provided excellent education, rated on of the best in the state of Wyoming.  It had varied program and activities.  With the reopening of Sleeping Giant ski facility in 2010, the ski program began again. It originally started in the mid-1970s.

The school has been teaching the children of the Northfork for over 100 years.  I never will regret the time that I spent there and the quality education that I received.

















No comments:

Post a Comment