Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Today's Holiday--Epitaph Day


Talk about weird--this observance has got to be at the top of my list.  Although in my travels, I have often taken pictures of unusual tombstones, wondering at their significance.

Plan Your Epitaph Day is an international observance featured in Chase's Calendar of Events and in Wireless Flash News Service. Mark your calendar -- it occurs every year on November 2 to coincide with the Day of the Dead.  Lance Hardie, creator of Plan Your Epitaph Day, has been interviewed by media personalities across the United States, Canada, England and Australia. He is at work on a book titled How to Write Your Own Epitaph -- and Live Long Enough to Enjoy It, due to be in print by the Day of the Dead.

Dedicated to the proposition that a forgettable gravestone is a fate worse than death. You too can be in a league with --William Shakespeare:
"...Curst be he that moves my bones."
and W.C. Fields:
"On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

A small sampling from cemeteries around the world:
"Here lies the body of Richard Hind,
who was neither ingenious, sober or kind."

Poet H.J. Daniel's epitaph for his wife:
"To follow you I'm not content.
How do I know which way you went?"

Lawyer Sir John Strange:
"Here lies an honest lawyer,
and that is Strange."

Julian Skaggs of West Virginia:
"I made an ash of myself."

As for me--
Here lies what left of Marti's bones
But her spirit soared to Heaven's home.

13 comments:

  1. LOVE that epitaph you created for yourself. Now what would I want mine to say?!?......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping in and your kind comment on my Autumn Mantel, Marti!
    As for my Epitaph...hmmm...How about "I told you I was sick!"
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like yours the best. My daughter had to do that for school when she took a death and dying class. Thanks for your comment, I believe now that if not for that I would not have ever turned to God the way I have. It is only through Him and His word that I can do anything. I used scripture to get me where I need to go. :) So what Satan would use for evil God has used for good and I am so thankful.
    Have a great day, we are having a doozy of a Santa Ana today. It is a huge dust storm.
    Tumbleweeds are just blowing like crazy.
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to think of one too - makes you think - and I like yours! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just popping over from the Giving Thanks challenge.

    I'd like mine to say,
    She often made God smile. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the spirit soaring to heaven's home! Great post! Sort of goes along with my post from yesterday! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from the Giving Thanks Challenge... Love this post! Mine would be: "Forever is only for as long as it lasts."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like what you would have on your headstone, as for me, .. I really need to think some more. Thank you for coming by and taking the time to say Hi.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I really do think it's important to have more than a name and a date. My mother wanted her favorite verse put on her stone, which is what we did. Her name, her dates, and Psalm 139.

    Great that you are participating in the Challenge. I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to think about this one! I like what you would have. That's good enough for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epitaph day...never heard of that...just "Day of the Dead"...I like the Day of the Dead concept of making an alter with favorite things...mine would have a big ol' MARGARITA on it! I won't have a tombstone because I'm going to be fried and scattered! I did write this, though...
    No granite stone to mark my place
    just scatter my ashes throughout space.

    I've already told my children...just scatter them some place that is beautiful.
    xo, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never heard of Epitaph Day nor Day of the Dead. And I'd never thought about my epitaph. I wonder if they do that much any more. I don't remember seeing any on any of the headstones at the cemetery where my mom is buried. I may have to go do some more investigating the next time we're out there.

    ReplyDelete