Monday, November 28, 2011

It's a Dogs Life

Every kid wants a pet.  I love dogs.  But I like a certain kind, as Goldilocks said, "That one's too big, and that one's too small, but that one is just right.  My first dog was a Springer Spaniel named Chum.  I am told that I liked to ride her, and my Dad would hold me while Chum took me all through the house.  I had her when I was a baby, but if not for the pictures of my dad, me and Chum, I wouldn't know about her. 




Through the years, my kids all had pets, some cats, some dogs, but they weren't mine even though I fed and cleaned up after them.  Finally when I was single again, I got my own dog.  She is half black lab, half Queensland Heeler.  She is gentle but brave, old now with a bad hip and some arthritis but with the heart of a pup she still tries to chase the ball--kind of like me.

7 comments:

  1. Was that her when she was a pup? Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - that describes me to a tee! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful.

    Our son/family have 2 black Labs, and they are getting older now too. We love, love, love them! Sweetest dogs. And of course, I give the credit to his wife, because she raised/trained them. :-)

    This son always wanted a dog, when he was growing up. But our daughter was (still issssss) very allergic to dogs. Soooooooooooooooo... Only cats, could we have. :-)

    When I was growing up, I used to keep adopting kittens/cats. And most all came to a sad end, one way or the other. -sigh- I was plucky, to keep adopting. Not getting discouraged. :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    "There are so many good shops here. ... One can step out of doors and get a thing in five minutes."
    "Northanger Abbey," by Jane Austin

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cute that you use to ride the dog! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always begged for a dog when I was a child. I had to wait until I was grown to get my dog. Millie was certainly worth the wait though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Labs are my favorite dogs.
    I still miss my SammyJo a lab who died 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete