Saturday, November 5, 2011

Almost Mine

My girl and her family

Today, I'm thankful for my "kind-a-kid".  A daughter not by birth, or adoption, but by love. She was the child of a substance abuser--a nice woman, but with a problem she couldn't handle.When the baby was ten days old, through a friend's referral, I baby sat her for the evening while her mom went out.  Three days later, mom came to pick her up.  That was the beginning of my motherhood with her. The pattern repeated itself again and again. Sometimes I would have her for a week or a year. (Now child protective services in Arizona is terrible, so the thought of turning her over was never an option).  I loved that little girl. She truly brought joy into my life.  She was funny, loved being clean, inquisitive, obedient. She did love to shop, though.  If she found a penny on the sidewalk, she would come running and tell me "lets go shopping". Through the years she grew into a wonderful women, with a good profession, now with two children of her own.  She is a loving, thoughtful person.  Her house is shiny clean and yes, she still loves to go shopping.






Also I give thanks today for my son.  Today is his birthday.  He is a loving dad, a faithful husband, trustworthy employee, and a child of God.

7 comments:

  1. I have an almost girl, and her parents took her away. I know, one day she will return, but i do miss her so much this Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your son! That's a great story of the young girl in the picture! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thankful thoughts Marti. God's timing is always Perfect!.A very blessed and Happy birthday wish to your son.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Post. So glad you and your "daughter" were there for each other. It looks like you brought much joy to one another.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure your "daughter" grew into the woman she is partly due to your influence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful story. You have a great looking son. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hearing good stories and happy endings is a favorite of mine. Thank you, for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete