Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pumpkin Peace Pipe Pie



My mother-in-law, a Minnesota farmer's wife, had an amazing collection of unusual recipes--some of them top secret.  But she did share this Thanksgiving Pie recipe with me.  It is made with ice cream.  How good is that?
Pumpkin Peace Pipe Pie

For the crust, I used Cinnamon Graham crackers, 2 packs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
Pulse in food processor until crumbs are finely crushed, and butter is blended.
Press into pie pan, I used 10 inch, if using smaller size, save extra crumbs for another time.  Chill
Combine 16 oz. canned pumpkin
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix well then add--
16 oz whipped cream or Cool Whip topping

Soften 1 quart vanilla ice cream and fill pie crust half full
Finish filling with pumpkin mixture
Freeze about 4 hours
For garnish, In heavy pan caramelize 1 cup slivered almonds with
1/4 cup sugar over high heat--Don't take your eyes off them
Stir constantly, when sugar melts they will brown in just a few seconds.  Cool on foil.
Freeze until about an hour before serving.  Decorate top of pie just before serving with addition Cool Whip, or whipped cream, and almonds.


This pie will be gone in a minute.  So cut yourself a little piece, and enjoy

7 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! I've never heard of combining ice cream with pumpkin into a pie. Yum! And I love your tablecloth idea!!! So adorable and what a great memory! Hope your Thanksgiving was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Gosh!!! I could eat that whole pie!!!! Yum!! Thanks for stopping by My Other Palette!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from MMOM, and thanks for visiting my blog. What a great recipe or pumpkin pie! Us Minnesotans know how to use our ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds wonderful - i love anything pumpkin! joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmmmmmm, not big on pumpkin pie - but add ice cream & I'm in!!!!!! :) PS Enjoyed "meeting" your siblings in the other posts as well - just didn't take time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my! That is a delicious looking pie! :)

    ReplyDelete