Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Off We Go

I have been so fortunate to be able to travel.  After college in Denver, I lived in France for three years.  While I was married (an Air Force wife), we moved almost every couple of years.  Every place had its attractions and highlights. In the past four years, I have been able to take a vacation every year.  I love planning, assembling all the highlights, and charting the route. 
Oregon fall color
My first vacation in later years was to visit my daughter in Oregon, with side visits to see my brothers and sister.


Me horseback riding in the Yukon

Yup, that me
The following year, my Prescott daughter took me on an Alaskan cruise.  We saw glaciers, wild life, and went horseback riding in the Yukon.
Alaskan glaciers

Old Faithful geyser
Then I retired, so I went on a month long road trip.  I went site-seeing and visiting family that took me through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, and then home.  It was so fun to be able to drive by myself, and stop where I wanted and see whatever caught my fancy.
Goodbye Oregon, Hello Cali











Then last year I traveled to Hawaii for my daughter's wedding. We spent 2 weeks on Kauai, and 10 days on the Big Island.  I saw so many special things.
Sunset in Kauai
So I am thankful that I have had this chance to travel.  Not bad for a timid mountain girl from Wyoming who never imagined that one day she would see all those far away places she had dreamed about.


*****
Now Wednesday Hodgepodge
1. Let's start with something controversial...dressing or stuffing? What's it called at your house and what's included in your recipe...cornbread? oysters? sausage? chestnuts?
If its from the turkey it's stuffing, if cooked outside the bird, it's dressing.  I like to make mine with cornbread, sage sausage, and oysters, But usually have to leave out the oysters--the kids say they are yucky.

2. Who do you sometimes compare yourself to?
I'd like to compare myself to my mother.  She was such a good role model, but I'm not even close.  In actuality, it would be more like Pig Pen.  I am so bad at putting stuff away.  That's what happens when you live by yourself (my excuse)

3. When were you last inside an airport?
This summer when I returned from Hawaii for my daughter's wedding.

4. What is one side dish that absolutely must be included in a turkey dinner?
Mashed potatoes and gravy, yum!

5. What Christmas song do you dread hearing?
"Hear comes Santa Claus" It is so far from the true meaning of Christmas!

6. If someone approaches you and asks for money do you give it to them? Do you drop money 'in a tin cup' that belongs to a person on the street? Do you have a specific charity you support during the holiday season and/or year round?
I don't give money to individuals, but I sometimes have gift cards to a grocery store (excludes cigarettes and beer), or gift cards to McDonald's that I will give to the less fortunate.  I do donate money to the Salvation Army bell ringers, and adopt a boy and girl from the Christmas Angel trees.  I also fill shoe boxes for  Samaritan's Purse.

7. Share a favorite Thanksgiving memory. If you live in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving share a favorite memory associated with food.
All my Thanksgivings with family are memorable.  Growing up we didn't have the traditional meal, we just couldn't afford it, instead we might have a nice elk steak with trimmings from our garden, but we had much to be thankful for.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
I just mailed a birthday gift to my friend in Colorado.  I couldn't believe how much the postage was!  The box was a foot cube, and it wasn't that heavy. Glad all my other mailables are small.



10 comments:

  1. How lucky you are, to have had the opportunity to travel, and to continue to have it. :-)

    Gentle hugs,
    ♡*♡*♡
    "Come ye thankful people, come,
    Raise the song of Harvest-home"

    ~ Henry Alford

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, the military has afforded me many travels too!!! so thankful for those experiences.

    oh, salvation army - wish I had thought of that - my husband and son are signed up to ring bells again this year for an hour at walmart ... and I try to always give my change as I walk by a bell ringer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS ditto on the feelings about the santa claus songs ... not my favorites either :( I prefer the traditional songs that focus on THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elk steak? That would probably taste good! Thanks for stopping by, and enjoy your good eats and family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great pictures of your travels. I bet the wedding in Hawaii was breathtaking. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you have had some great trips. Have a great Thanksgiving (wear your stretchy pants) Lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hopping over to my blog today and leaving a comment!

    I thought your idea to have some prepaid gift cards to give to people in need is a FANTASTIC idea!! It's something I can do throughout the year too, so thank you for the tip :)

    I hope you have a happy and joyous Thanksgiving tomorrow. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to travel more extensively, and I love a great road trip! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for visiting my blog today. I enjoyed visiting yours and will definitely be back. I would have enjoyed your early Thanksgivings...LOVE a good elk steak. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the yucky for oyster stuffing. I tried it once by accident. YUCK!!!
    I love to travel too will enjoy looking at your blog travels. Thank you for stopping by

    ReplyDelete