Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Time Stands Still

Every school day was a rush--get up, get dressed, have breakfast, make the bed, get my lunch pail and homework then head down the mountain to catch the school bus.  Our bus--actually the Rhoades' station wagon (they lived at the end of the line east of the school) was scheduled at our mailbox by the highway at about 8:15.  My brothers could leave the house at 8:00 and walk and run the mile and be there in plenty of time.
I had to walk with my little sister so I needed extra time.  You know how little kids get distracted by bunnies, or a pretty dragonfly, or even a special looking rock. So, I left the house at 7:50.  I had a fear that I would miss the bus and was nervous until I got to the mailbox, I loved school and never wanted to miss a day.  But one day I did miss the bus. How could that be possible?  


It was one of those mornings when nothing went right.  I couldn't find my socks, and my sister was taking forever with her breakfast. I looked at the clock and it said 7:55 and we still weren't ready to leave, so I climbed up on a chair and set the hands of the clock back to 7:30.  I was relieved now we had plenty of time.  We even were out the door a few minutes early.  We walked the mile and I remember my dismay that my brothers weren't there--the bus had already come and I had missed it.  I sat down on a rock and cried.  Slowly, I trudged back up the hill with my little sister in tow.  I had to explain to my Mom what happened, she stopped her chores and drove us to school and told me to think about time.  It took awhile for me to figure it out and then I was so embarrassed.  Needless to say I respected the clock from that day on.


WooHoo!  I hit that magic number of 100 followers.  Rules:  Be a follower, and enter a comment.  All comments through Thursday March 15th will be enter in a random drawing.  Some cool things could be coming your way.  Thank you all my friends.

13 comments:

  1. Time, it does keep ticking forward no matter what we try to do.

    Congratulations on yor milestone. Your blog is very nicely put together. I am happy to be one o your followers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...that puts a big lump in my throat, but I suppose it was a good lesson learned, huh? Oh, how I love giveaways! I am definitely a follower and I knew you'd reach the magic number of 100 in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you wish it were that easy to turn back time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marti, congratulations on hitting your goal! I love your musings. Is that a new cute button? I'm grabbing it for my links. You made me think of my girl with her 7 am pickup- thank God it's at our door! I am a follower. And I still get distracted by those things, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute story this morning Marti......You learned a lesson early on about "not being able to control time". (O:

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, if only getting more time was as easy as pushing the hands on the clock back. ;-) Congratulations on getting 100 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marti, that's a cute story about setting the clock back! I remember the days of walking to the school bus. Congrats on reaching your goal of 100.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story - and no you can't really turn back time - we have to embrace the day. Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't you just wish it worked like that? That we could set our clocks back to give ourselves some extra time?;>)

    We had to walk a mile to our school bus, too. I had to walk down one big hill and meet up with my cousins and then we walked the remainder of the mile...UP another big hill together. I had to walk through some heavy woods to get to my cousins' house and I was always a bit afraid (I started walking it at 4-1/2 years old) so I would kind of run through the wooded part. Great memory jogger here today- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marti, the story is just precious! I am quite sure it was embarrassing at the time, but it's totally sweet now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol! I sometimes wish I could have done that before school, more time to eat my breakfast, cool story!
    Congratulations on your 100 followers! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that is a very cute story. If life was so easy. Just turn back the hands on the clock. :) Isn't it funny how little minds work.
    Is the wind blowing there today? It has blown all day long today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, what a great story with all the innocence of childhood. I'm glad that your mother wasn't too displeased. She must have chuckled over it and wished that she could do it, too.

    ReplyDelete