Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge


1. Have you learned more from success or failure? Explain.
Most of my success have come about because of some sort of failure.  I try something, it doesn't work so I revise or adapt.  It is valuable to learn from failure.  Easy success hasn't the value of hard earned success.

2. What did you call your grandparents when you were growing up? If you have children, what do they call your parents? If you have grandchildren, what do they call you?
I called my grandparents Grandma and Grandpa.  My children called my mil Grammy, and my mom Grandma.  My grandkids call me Gramma, the great-grand who is four calls me Grape Gramma.

3. You're invited to a luau. In keeping with that theme, what dish will you bring to share?
At the luau we went to in Hawaii, besides the pit roasted pig, my favorite dish was:

Lomilomi Salmon

In Hawaiian, lomilomi means to massage, or in this case to break the salmon into small pieces, which are then mixed with tomatoes, onions, and other small condiments, giving it a delicious tangy taste that goes great with poi. This style of fish preparation, introduced to Hawaii by early western sailors, is a delightful surprise and a must-have item at any luau.
Yield: 4 servings

Ingredients

 Whole Tomatoes, 4 each
 Green Onions, 1/2 lb
 Round Onions, 2
 Diced Salted Salmon, 3 lbs

Instructions

1.
Core and rinse tomatoes; slice tomatoes in 4's; using diced cutter, place 1 tomato slice and hand push cutter; place in large 12" plastic bowl.
Repeat same procedure for onions,
Cut green onion thinly and add to mixture.
2.
Combine all ingredients and mix well.
3.
Divide evenly into bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator.

4. Besides Jesus, what one person's life story do you think everyone should know about?
I am fascinated with the life of Abraham Lincoln.  From humble beginnings to acts of political bravery that changed the face of America.

5. "Don't sweat the small stuff." Agree or Disagree? Why?
Agree.  So often I get bogged down in details that I miss the larger picture or wonderful things that go on around me such as a spectacular sunset.

6. June is National Rivers Month. When were you last on a river? What's the prettiest river you've ever seen? What's a river you'd like to see?
I fished on the Snake river last summer.  That was a fun trip.  I would like to travel on the Amazon River and see some of the wonderful rain forests of South America.

7. Speaking of rivers-paddling, fishing, swimming, or bird watching safely from the shore? Which activity would you choose? Yes-you have to choose.
I love to fish, and yes I eat what I catch, and never catch more than I can eat.  Trout fishing is my favorite, followed by bass fishing.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Summer heat has brought out the ants.  My house and yard have been overrun.  Thank goodness the exterminator comes today.

No comments:

Post a Comment