Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Shopping Madness or Simple Pleasure



Well, we had greedy Thursday, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and finally Cyber Monday.  Does anyone have any money left?  I know that the economy is bad, but all this push to use every last cent on holiday gifts is crazy.  




What ever happened to stringing popcorn and cranberries, and making paper chains for the tree?  What about putting time and effort into make a little something for friends and families?  Can anything be as touching as a handmade card from a child?  

I think that we have lost something valuable in our lives--the simple way of doing things--the peace on earth good will to men.  

What are you doing to carry on old traditions? 

3 comments:

  1. I feel the excess growing in society every year and kind of wonder if there will be a big back lash at some point. Where people say enough. Our holiday traditions are pretty simple. I do buy gifts but we don't go crazy. I do not shop Thanksgiving weekend. We do decorate the tree Thanksgiving weekend...it's not 'themed' as seems to be the thing now, but rather lots of travel momentos and childhood treasures : ) We play games, watch a Christmas movie or two, and spend lots of time in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not watching the news helps immensley. I wish Christmas was the same as we had it as children. So magical; so believable; so exciting. It really loses something in the aging years. I'm going to DC for Christmas and it's always very pretty there. So I'm excited about that. And I'm looking forward to 'cold'. Christmas should be cold. And snow. Not 90 degrees. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you, Marti! There's something about all that rush to the stores that makes me want to stay home and think about the real meaning of Christmas. One thing we do is to celebrate Advent, so that we keep our focus on what Christmas is all about. It is tough in today's commercialized society not to fall into that trap, but no one seems happier because they spend all that money. Please tell RoeH that I will trade a bit of bitter cold for a bit of her 90 degrees. :-)

    ReplyDelete