Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose


Photobucket
This Week's prompt is: A Disaster...or not
The dictionary defines disaster as natural or man-made (or technological) hazard resulting in an event of substantial extent causing significant physical damage or destruction, loss of life, or drastic change to the environment. A  tragic event stemming from events such as earthquakesfloods, catastrophic accidentsfires, or explosions. It is a phenomenon that can cause damage to life and property and destroy the economic, social and cultural life of people.  Now, I'm sure that everyone will agree that the recent hurricane, tornadoes and fires are disasters.  But on a personal level I think that is another story.

At heart I am a perfectionist, it was a hard habit to overcome.  It is like a cancer that eats away at your self-esteem.  I had set such high standards, that many times were unrealistic, they doomed me to failure, and feelings of inadequacy.  But then I finally came to realize that the world does not revolve around me--so what if I make a mistake when I speak, or sew something wrong, burn the cake or arrive late because I got lost; tomorrow nobody but me will remember.  I am just not that crucial in the scheme of things.  I learned to forgive myself (and still am learning that lesson).  I learned to laugh at myself.  So my mishaps, although troubling to me, are not at all disasters.  I prefer to see them as valuable learning tools..

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

4 comments:

  1. I too am (or should I say was) a perfectionist... I do love your attitude of your not being the center of the world and no one will remember the mishaps but you.... However if I sew something wrong I see the mistake every time I look at the item....

    I think as we mature we learn to accept less than perfect for sanity sake.

    happy Thanksgiving and Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree we really need to laugh at ourselves more often. Our loved ones know we are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marti.....Happy thanksgiving to you. Hopefully we will see one another soon.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- I am a perfectionist, too. It can really chain you up, can't it? As far as no one remembering failures tomorrow- well, I have kids that LOVE to remind me of my fails! Happy Thanksgiving- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete