Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. Are you cooking Christmas dinner? How many will be round your table this year? What are we having?
I am not cooking, I may go to my daughter's if I feel like it. Otherwise, I will probably have chips and salsa.

2. What is one must-have Christmas cookie in your house?
Mexican Wedding cookies, or sugar cookies, or snickerdoodles or....

3. Santa likes a glass of milk with his cookies. Do you? What kind of milk is on tap at your house-skim? almond? soy? full fat (Gasp!)
2%, but I like to dip my cookies in hot coffee.

4. Time magazine recently named their 'Person of the Year' for 2011. This is the person the editors believe had the greatest impact, for better or worse, in the past year. This year they chose 'The Protester'. Your thoughts? Who would you name Person of the Year for 2011?
Personally, I think that is the dumbest choice.  First of all there is no name, and suicide doesn't solve problems.  And what did it accomplish in the long run, not a whole lot that I can see.  Egypt is back in turmoil, other middle eastern countries are rioting, the "Occupy Wall street" movement just caused more problems.  Their whole list honored war-mongers, evil and depraved people for the most part.  What ever happened to looking for the good and celebrating achievers.  I guess that I should quit ranting.  I would have chosen a person like Steve Jobs-for his technology contributions, or one of our war heroes.

5. December 21st is National Flashlight Day... when was the last time you needed a flashlight and did you know right where to find one?
I used a flashlight this morning, and I have some in most every room with good batteries.  I hate walking in the dark.

6. candy canes...yum or yuck?
yum, especially pulverized and then put in hot cocoa or topping ice cream.

7. What Christmas carol lyric means the most to you?
I love "Away in a Manger"--the simple melody and touching words.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Tuesday I had lunch with my roommate when I lived in Denver.  This is the first time I've seen her since I left for France--50 years ago.  We have kept in touch with cards throughout the years.

14 comments:

  1. Is that a picture of you and your friend? How nice - 50 years - what a gift! sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #2! It's very hard to actually choose a favorite cookie above all others. ;) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How special to catch up with your friend! Wishing you a happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off....one of my most FAVORITE Christmas songs you have playing in the background....Christmas Eve in Sarajevo.

    And that candy cane answer...makes my mouth drool.

    My two separate posts today:

    1] New Orleans Conclusion
    and
    2] WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE

    Hope your day, so far, has been a glorious one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, Marti,
    This is wonderful!!! And I am so happy that you and your friend had a chance to see each other after all these years--it is so special!!

    Merry Christmas to you~and a wonderful New Year ahead!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like longtime friends and sharing special times together. So glad you had that privilege.

    I truly do hope you opt to go to daughter's and eat something besides chips and salsa. :o)

    Blessings for a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you saw your roommate! :-)

    Cookies: pumpkin chocolate chocolate chip, and my great-grandmother's buttermilk sugar cookies.

    Merry Christmas, Marti! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you saw your friend after all those years. Your answers to the questions are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice picture and how nice to see your roommate after all these years! I have to agree with the protester! How silly!!! I remember one year all my daughter wanted for Christmas was a flashlight! She was 3! If only it was that easy now! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 50 Years! That's amazing. I've had a friend for 38 --it's a rare privilege to have a friend that long. I really agree with your Protester sentiments. A war hero would be a better choice. Steve Jobs did quite a thing for technology, but his kids were practically estranged from him, I have gathered, so the question is, "would THEY choose him?" hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wait! You are now in France? I thought you were in the US. Oh my goodnessssss, how did I miss that? :-)

    Christmas Dinner is a Family Dinner, with all contributing. But it will be Turkey and Dressing, and my husband ALWAYS makes the turkey/dressing. And "Newman's Creamed Potatoes" too. Tradition.

    Since our next-door-son and his wife, have 4 children, a baby being the youngest..... We, our daughter/family and our other son/family will gather at his (next door) family home, for dinner. (Plus a Japanese Exchange Student and an Italian Exchange Student, staying with daughter and son)

    As I said, it's right next door, and he/son wants to have the turkey coooking aroma in his house. So my husband readies the turkey , and when our son's stove is hot, we bring the stuffed turkey over there. To cook. :-)

    Merry Christmas!

    "Did you ever wonder about the Victorian version of sugarplums dancing around every one's head in "A Visit From St. Nicholas"? Sugarplums were exotic sweetmeats, a combination of fruit and nuts, traditionally available only during the holidays."
    ~~"Mrs. Sharp's Traditions"

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite cookies too! How special that you were able to get together with your friend after all those years.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That sounds like a sad way to spend Christmas :( Go to your daughter's house and enjoy dinner with your family!

    How wonderful that you got to see your friend after so many years! What a blessing :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete