Sunday, July 15, 2012

Purpose






Isn't it ironic, here I am way OLD, and am feeling sad--the reason, I just can't seem to find purpose and direction.  I have failed at so many things, but I have also accomplished many things.  I have let people down, but also have encouraged others. As I have completed tasks, I have satisfaction, but also a sense of emptiness.  At times like these, it is easy to forget that God made me special, and made me for a purpose.


I reread Rick Warren's "What on Earth am I Here for" and was reminded  life is about letting God use you for his purposes, not your using him for your own purposes. The Bible says, “Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life.” Romans 8:6 The Message 

God says, “I know what I am planning for you.... I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.’” Jeremiah 29:11 (NCV).



The Bible offers three metaphors that teach us God’s view of life: Life is a test, life is a trust,and life is a temporary assignment. These ideas are the foundation of purpose-driven living.

Character is both developed and revealed by tests, and all of life is a test. You are always
being tested. “God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your
power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it,and so provide you with a way out.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (TEV).



Life on earth is a Trust. This is the second metaphor of life we find in the Bible. Our time,
energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships, and resources are all gifts that God has entrusted to our care and management. We are stewards, or managers, of whatever God gives us. “What do you have that God hasn’t given you? And if all you have is from God, why boast as though you have accomplished something on your own?” 1 Corinthians 4:7 (NLT)


Life on earth is a temporary assignment.: First, compared with eternity, life is extremely brief. Second, earth is only a temporary residence. You won’t be here long, so don’t get too attached. Ask God to help you see life on earth as he sees it. David prayed, “Lord, help me to realize how brief my time on earth will be. Help me to know that I am here for but a moment more.” Psalm 39:4 (LB).

So considering all this, I can be a little bit discontented with my here and now--I am just passing through this life on the way to my final destination.  But as I travel this journey of life, I want to remember that God knows the route, and will guide me each step on the way, all I have to do is keep my eye on the goal.



4 comments:

  1. Bless your heart - this feeling can set in at any age or time, I think. Just went through it myself a little as my husband is leaving the ministry but now can't find a job - wondering what is the right thing to do ... where do we fit in (it wasn't in ministry - at least not in the one we worked for!) ...
    BUT God has promised to give wisdom to all who ask for it! AND I also believe a great step in finding/realizing your purpose is actively pursuing one!! God bless. Thanks for sharing this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I am way old too! Ha! And recently I have noted that time on earth is finite and I am praying and asking God "what do you want me to do on earth?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all experience feelings like that at one time or another...sometimes for moments...sometimes for days....trying to find out what we are "supposed" to be doing. Blessings to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an excellent post, Marti! It is so easy to get focused on what we can see around us and become fearful and anxious or depressed. Keeping our eyes on the Creator and Sustainer of the Universe makes all the difference. We won't always feel great, but we don't have to feel great. Feelings can be deceptive and manipulative. We have to trust, as you said, that He knows the way and that He is in complete control. Blessings♥

    ReplyDelete