Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pondering with a Purpose--Extremes


Photobucket
This Week's prompt is: Extremes

To what extremes would you go for those you love?  I  know that all of us would want to say we would do anything and that is a good answer.  I know that I have basically put my life on hold at times for my children, and when I was married, I always put my ex's needs first.  But as I think on this, I am left with this question--is this always a good thing.  By my willingness to move the earth for my children, am I instead doing them a disservice?  Am I depriving them of a chance to develop their own wings and fly?  I think that there is a chance that I do too much.  Now in a real crisis, I know I will be there, but are there times when I should just say, you have my support but you need to figure this out for yourself.  That probably is one of the hardest things to do, but I think that they need to learn to be independent of me, but know that I am there for the extreme crisis.

4 comments:

  1. It's hard to find balance with our kids, isn't it? One of the hardest things for me is to stand back instead of rushing in to help/do too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When to intercede and when to pull back. One of the hardest decision a parent can make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep questions. Parenting is (was) hard. If I had to do it all over again, I'd change a few things. It's too bad that we get those babies sans instructions. You just get to practice on the first one. Strange set up. My daughter called me the other day (SHOCK she never calls) and I could tell she just needed mom to talk to for a minute. But OH NO...she wasn't crying. I so know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that there is a balance that needs to be ridden here, but when push comes to shove when my kids need me I am there, and hopefully by doing this they become stronger and wiser and will carry on this tradition for their own.

    Thanks for pondering with me!

    ReplyDelete