Tuesday, September 10, 2013

New Moon



This past week was the start of the new moon.  The moon has always been linked to romance and poetry--everything from children's nursery rhymes to sonnets by famous poets. 

“With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb’st the skies!”Sir Phillip Sidney (1554-1586)

With how sad steps, O Moon, thou climb’st the skies !
How silently, and with how wan a face !
What, may it be that even in heavenly place
That busy archer his sharp arrows tries?
Sure, if that long with love-acquainted eyes
Can judge of love, thou feel’st a lover’s case;
I read it in thy looks; thy languisht grace
To me that feel the like, thy state descries.
Then, even of fellowship, O Moon, tell me,
Is constant love deemed there but want of wit?
Are beauties there as proud as here they be?
Do they above love to be loved, and yet
Those lovers scorn whom that love doth possess?
Do they call virtue there, ungratefulness?”


Sidney’s questions and concerns are directed towards the moon. He feels that love is very ambiguous and wants to know if the moon feels the same way.This poems is all about going through tests and trials of love.

One of sayings that I heard growing up was "New moon, new chance".  I am glad that there are chances to have a "do over", or chances for a new life, new love and that they don't depend on the moon.  Every day I see ways that I can live with a bit more love and a bit more gratitude.  I want to experience those "new chances", forging ahead with confidence.  I may have fears but it is important that they not control my heart and my actions, but only help make me wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment